- Sit in a comfortable position. For me, that is in a straight-backed chair with my feet flat on the ground.
- Treat yourself as you would a small child. As you meditate and your thoughts wander, be forgiving. Say: That's okay, you're going to get it. Try again.
- Do not set an alarm. Trust yourself to know when twenty minutes is up. Have you woken up a moment before your alarm goes off? Your body knows.
- When you have an idea that needs more thought, promise yourself you'll get back to that idea later. Keep your promise.
This is the most difficult advice to follow:
- There are no goals in meditation. If you're trying to achieve something, you're not meditating.
- Give yourself this time every day. Every day.